Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Amazon.com
Forum Stats
7008 Members
12 Forums
3419 Topics
13165 Posts

Max Online: 175 @ 09/26/12 04:59 PM
Career Step Ad
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11422 - 08/01/10 07:43 AM Question for work-from-home MT's
killingjoke Offline
Gabber

Loc: Indiana
I am schooling, hoping to get a job working from home. I have a couple of questions as to how it works.
Do you work set hours, or do you get a certain amount of dictations with a deadline for when you have to have them sent back?
How do they send the dictations?

#11423 - 08/01/10 12:54 PM Re: Question for work-from-home MT's [Re: killingjoke]
MrsQASpec Offline
Veteran Gabber

Loc: South Carolina
There are numerous answers to your questions depending on the situation.

"Do you work set hours?" Yes, I do because I am an employee and I have to work a set shift. Those who are ICs (independent contractors) do not have to give a set time (in most situations), but may have to complete a certain amount of lines per day.

"Do you get a certain amount of dictations with a deadline . .?" I would say 99% of companies have a time when the dictations have to be returned. As an MT, I receive the dictations in the order they are sent to the company. ."first in, first out." I personally do not get a certain amount, just what I can complete in a shift and that varies depending on the length of the report and the difficulty of the dictator.

"How do 'they' send the dictations?" If you mean the dictators, they either use an 800 number or use a handheld recorder that uploads the dictations to the MTSO. If you mean the MTSO, they either have a transciption platform that you log into to play the sound files and transcribe them or have a server where the files can be downloaded through FTP (file transfer protocol) and you play the file in a program like Express Scribe or Bayscribe while transcribing in Word or WordPerfect. Then you log back into the server to send the complete report.

#11439 - 08/09/10 10:48 AM Re: Question for work-from-home MT's [Re: MrsQASpec]
killingjoke Offline
Gabber

Loc: Indiana
Thanks for responding. That does help explain it to me. The only MT's I know work in offices, so I wasn't sure how it works from the home. Is there a high chance of newbies getting in as IC's?

#11446 - 08/09/10 09:18 PM Re: Question for work-from-home MT's [Re: killingjoke]
MrsQASpec Offline
Veteran Gabber

Yes. There are a few companies out there that hire "no experience" MTs. There are also several internships out there, some pay, some do not. Check around. .the opportunity is there.

#11448 - 08/10/10 08:43 AM Re: Question for work-from-home MT's [Re: MrsQASpec]
amysnow76 Offline
Gabber

Loc: Ohio
What are the no experience MT companies? I heard that Inscribe is a joke. I am done with my schooling and NEED a job. Thanks!

#11449 - 08/10/10 10:34 AM Re: Question for work-from-home MT's [Re: amysnow76]
MrsQASpec Offline
Veteran Gabber

I would love to hear from someone that has actually worked at Inscribe. Otherwise, I have just recent heard anything negative about them. I have noticed they hire often, which could be high turnover. Also, when they test, they test like 20+ people for 2 or 3 spots. Otherwise, there are several jobs that pop up on occasion that state newbies are welcome. Just keep looking.

#11450 - 08/11/10 08:32 AM Re: Question for work-from-home MT's [Re: MrsQASpec]
amysnow76 Offline
Gabber

Loc: Ohio
Alright, well, maybe I will try them. It would at least give me some experience. Thank you for you input!

#19107 - 04/17/17 09:38 PM Re: Question for work-from-home MT's [Re: killingjoke]
Lisa Day Offline
Newbie Gabber

Loc: Maine, USA
Hello. I am somewhat a newbie to the MT field. I took the AHP MT course in 2009, but unable to find work. Went to work as an Eye Technician, where i have been for 8+ years. I've been reviewing my course info and practicing, hoping to get back into it to work from home. If I work from home as an IC, do I need a license with the state, county or town where I live? I am located in Belgrade,Maine. I can see it takes a lot to find work in this profession. Is this a waste of time pursuing this? Advice would be great, Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SOMara 
Social Sharing
Practice Medical Transcription
4 CD-ROM Set: Practice Your Medical Transcription

550 dictated patient reports on 4 CD-ROMs to practice your medical transcription skills. This authentic dictation has been supplied by over a dozen medical doctors and surgeons who understand the need and importance of a great transcriptionist. Strive to be exceptional! Compare your finished reports with confidence using the transcript/answer keys in AAMT BOS format.

FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Medword Uses & Recommends...
Top Posters
kkb 1555
SOMara 1309
cmt 842
judymae 471
Lakelife 447
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
At-Home Professions course? 20878681
Allied School Study Buddies 475551