Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Amazon.com
Forum Stats
7002 Members
12 Forums
3419 Topics
13164 Posts

Max Online: 175 @ 09/26/12 04:59 PM
Career Step Ad
Topic Options
#12246 - 05/25/11 12:44 AM Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll
SOMara Offline
Pinnacle Gabber

Loc: B.C. Canada
Hi Gabbers.

I get a number of messages from new members who request my permission to ask members for answers to specific course questions that are part of the curriculum they are currently completing.

I have always believed this is a form of cheating and so have tried to monitor this-without much success. (I`m assuming the student would just go elsewhere on the Internet anyway.)

There may be new methods of learning that allow the student to get help with course questions. The answers from others would then be acceptable in their attempt to complete a medical transcription program.

If the majority of poll results are for "Yes" then I will start a new area for posting and replying regarding course exam questions.

Please post your comments in the New MTs Forum forum.

P.S. We have no way of knowing which members have voted.

Should We Start a Student Help Forum and Give Specific Course Answers?
Only one choice allowed (24 total votes)
Yes - 15 (63%)
No - 6 (25%)
Undecided - 3 (13%)
Voting on this poll ends: 06/25/11 12:15 AM

SOMara
MT Gab Administrator

#15280 - 01/08/12 10:32 AM Re: Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll [Re: SOMara]
rusty54 Offline
Newbie Gabber

Loc: N.W. Florida
yes

#15714 - 02/02/12 09:53 AM Re: Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll [Re: SOMara]
leanne Offline
Veteran Gabber

Loc: Nebraska
Yes.

#17009 - 05/17/12 11:22 AM Re: Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll [Re: leanne]
PatriciaM Offline
Newbie Gabber

Loc: Long Beach, CA
No. Not only is it cheating, but it means the person taking the examination will actually be less prepared for work situations. Transcriptionists need to learn to rely on themselves!

#17182 - 06/13/12 06:13 PM Re: Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll [Re: PatriciaM]
penumbra Offline
Newbie Gabber

Loc: USA
Hello SOMara, I found MTGabber's a bit ago when I was stumped over dictations that I could not understand some phrases because of accents, and the help that I got here made me go back and listen again and then it was clear.

I benefit from a background of being an x-ray and radiation therapy tech. so I understand a certain level of the body and language used with it.If there was some way to answer questions that lead to investigation that is informative to help someone answer what they are asking would be great to the questioner, because what we need here is to beable to understand the information in context. I am guessing that people are not paid here to help out. I pledge to help out in areas I can, in an instructional way.

I disagree with PatriciaM in that we have to rely on ourselves. I believe she is saying we do a disservice by just giving what was dictated, and I agree.

When I started, and am almost done with my course, I thought myself very lucky to have the background I have. It is extremely difficult to do this even with my background.

I do appreciate the amount of knowledge that is shared here.

I am a Noobie:O

#17537 - 07/17/12 12:47 AM Re: Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll [Re: SOMara]
MedTrans36 Offline
Newbie Gabber

Loc: Kentucky
Um, that would be a great big NO. Of course at this point it doesn't really matter 'cause I've noticed there are tons of very specific course questions being asked and answered, even going so far as to post entire reports to be proofread for them. It really has nothing to do with cheating, although it certainly is. The biggest problem is that the person posting this kind of specific question ultimately learns very little. A HUGE part of being an MT is learning how to effectively proofread. A student has no way to gauge their progress in this area if they are having others proofread their work for them. Ain't nobody gonna do it for 'em when they're out in the real world workin', which means they gonna find themselves unemployed PDQ if, and that's a really BIG if, they can even manage to pass an employment test in the first place.

Go ahead, post your course specific questions and ask people to proofread your reports. You're wasting whatever money you put out for your course. You will never make any kind of decent living being an MT. Period.

I'm not talking about general questions regarding how to use commas or general style/formatting questions. Everyone has questions and the internet is a great place to look for answers, but when you sit here and post entire reports to be proofread for you, well, it's only yourself you'll have to blame when you either can't get a job or can't keep that job if you do manage to find one.

I know I sound hostile, but there's really no way to paint a pretty picture from this. It is what it is.

#17553 - 07/17/12 11:27 PM Re: Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll [Re: MedTrans36]
Peggy Su Offline
Supreme Gabber

Loc: California
Taking an on-line course does not afford one the ability to ask a teacher for help or instruction in real time. If someone has done their due diligence in listening to the dictation and researching everything they can, and then they ask for help, then I feel its beneficial.

"A HUGE part of being an MT is learning how to effectively proofread". I agree. WE ARE NEWBIES AND NEED HELP. No, I do not proofread entire reports. Give me something that shows you have tried to figure it out on your own. There are a few posts on here that want someone to proofread the entire report, but I think for the most part, we as newbies get the fact that we have to get it ourselves.

"Ain't nobody gonna do it for 'em when they're out in the real world workin', which means they gonna find themselves unemployed PDQ if, and that's a really BIG if, they can even manage to pass an employment test in the first place".

This is a very true statement. But we have to START somewhere. Nobody got into this profession without a helping hand of some sort. Maybe from a relative or school or whatever. No one would pass these courses as a newbie without some type of help. We are all from different backgrounds with different educational skills and abilities. If someone wants to cheat and just get a certificate, then so be it, they will fail in the long run. But I think for the most part, those that come here are just needing HELP in getting started.
The economy in these days has sent many of us back to work. Lets just help each other and let the dice roll where they may.

#17562 - 07/18/12 02:25 PM Re: Request MTGabber's Opinion on a Poll [Re: MedTrans36]
keaki Offline
Seasoned Gabber

Loc: WA, USA
I asked for one word help on a similar web-site once and was drummed out for cheating. I had Googled and searched, listened and re-listened until I was going crazy. I gave the other MT's what I thought the word was and asked for help. I didn't get it. Obviously one of them told on me and I received a you're-not-welcome-here e-mail which was a joke. A joke because I can tell by some of the questioned asked on that particular web-site that there are many students out there trying to find out words the same as I was. (Not MTGab web-site!). I just wanted one word, that was all.

With regard to this poll I find it odd as there seem to be many already listing reports - and have not been stopped.. so it is happening anyway.

I think people should be helped, this is a search engine same as using Google, Bing, whatever - or even looking it up in a book - but it is not a proof-reader and I don't believe entire reports should be listed. This seems odd and I am surprised the online school doesn't get to hear of it.

So, help - yes, for the odd word or format, comma placement, headings - but not whole reports, no.

Moderator:  SOMara 
Social Sharing
Practice Medical Transcription
4 CD-ROM Set: Practice Your Medical Transcription

550 dictated patient reports on 4 CD-ROMs to practice your medical transcription skills. This authentic dictation has been supplied by over a dozen medical doctors and surgeons who understand the need and importance of a great transcriptionist. Strive to be exceptional! Compare your finished reports with confidence using the transcript/answer keys in AAMT BOS format.

FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Medword Uses & Recommends...
Top Posters
kkb 1555
SOMara 1309
cmt 842
judymae 471
Lakelife 447
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
At-Home Professions course? 19975219
Allied School Study Buddies 453752